Sunday, October 5, 2008

3:33 AM Masala Chai - For Morning or Anytime (makes 2 mugs worth)

I began attempting to make Masala Chai prior to even knowing PQ, but have since refined my technique and recipe. Now when PQ's mom visits, my Chai is one of her requests. (So flattering and a sure sign I am making it well.)

Using a small saucepan, begin boiling enough cold water so that your pointer finger is submerged almost to the top.

Using a mortal and pestle, smash about 6 to 10 cardamom pods (Elaichi) and a palm full of fennel seeds (Somph) and throw them into the water. Next, grate or chop about an inch worth of fresh ginger (Adrak) into the water.

I use tea bags, PQ's mom uses loose tea, but you can use either form of any good black or assam tea -- Decaf or Regular. For 2 strong mugs worth I drop in about 5 tea bags. (If I can find it at the Indian Grocery Store, my favorite is Wagh Bakri Organic Assam Tea.) When the water begins to come to a rolling boil, add a few glugs of milk (Dudh) (or if you are me, Lactaid) so that the water is no longer boiling.

This is the part that I always have problems with. PQ's mom NEVER does. Don't let the milky tea boil over. Keep the flame lowered so that there is a low boil and the milk can heat and the tea can steep.

After about 2 to 3 minutes, strain the tea into mugs. PQ likes his sweet (2 spoons), I like mine less sweet (1 spoon), and PQ's mom even less sweet (half a spoon). You can use sugar, but I prefer Agave Nectar. It is better for you than refined sugar, of course. It has a lower glycemic index and doesn't taste syrupy.

Enjoy. xoxoxox

3 comments:

trb said...

I SAID MORTAL HAHAHAHAHA (I'm not changing it.) Next time maybe I'll spell check. or maybe not. what.

Alexa said...

YUMMY! I'm gonna try it after Yom Kippur. I'm trying to keep my caffeine intake down til then so I don't get blasted with a caffeine headache day of. Oye.
SustainablePantry.com

jenn said...

I like agave gonna buy some next time but I never have time to make tea at home